Blog Title: Giuliana Bernini
About: Giuliana is a Food Scientist that graduated from North Carolina State University, started her own Vegan and Gluten Free bakery shipping state wide and has a passion for holistic nutrition. She shares her experiences, recipes and tips on her blog and social media. Giuliana knows its important to live a balanced lifestyle and promote a no diet lifestyle, but a lifestyle that will make you feel the best about yourself. She is passionate about helping people that need accommodations and allergen friendly food, that want to still be healthy but enjoy the guilty pleasures!
Notes from Episode #105: Food Science and Holistic Nutrition
- Fun fact: Giuliana was born and raised in Costa Rica. Her family were in agriculture so it’s always been a part of who she is.
- Cooking is Giuliana’s love language.
- Eating healthy isn’t just about what you’re eating, it’s about what you feel. It’s about your mind, body and soul.
- What people think is healthy might not be. For example, organic food isn’t necessarily healthy. There’s not much health differences between people who eat organic food exclusively and those who don’t.
- Giuliana eats what she needs, not what she thinks is better.
- What you’re eating and how your body responds, affects your daily mental state.
- When Giuliana moved to NY, she wasn’t feeling well and her stomach hurt. She was trying to figure out what her body was rejecting.
- She decided to do a cleanse. For a whole month, she didn’t drink any alcohol, avoided non refined sugars and starches. Her body responded because she was listening to her body and she was doing something about it so her body liked that and she felt better overall. Giuliana realized she was happier.
- She kept a food diary and figured out eggs were affecting her.
- You are the way you are because you want to be that way. If you don’t like your body, then you have the power to change yourself.
- Empower yourself to make changes.
- We are the way we are for a reason. Even if you don’t understand it, there is a reason.
- The imperfections are there for a reason. You might hate it but someone loves you for it.
- Definition of food science – Giuliana’s first food science class her professor shared that when you learn about food science, you learn about food at every level. You learn about chemistry, nutrition, psychology, etc. It’s diving into every detail about food. How it changes your mind, how you can perfect a food, how you can feed thousands of people.
- Food science and careers –
- Giuliana has worked in 4 areas of food science: seafood, dairy, Plant based and cooking/baking/packaging
- Food science is like a tree with so many branches you can pick from
- Avenues you can work in under the banner of food science: Managing a restaurant, food audits, proper sanitation, food safety, R&D, how to extend shelf life with packaging, recipe development, food safety, quality assurance.
- You have to try jobs out and see what you like to determine where you want to be.
- Educating audiences, incorporating this into the food blogging world
- Nutritional labels – specify everything about a recipe so people have a lot of details about the food.
- Giuliana likes to try out new ingredients and research it well then share it with her audience. Then she relates it to something you might be more familiar with and how you’d use it and why you might want to.
- Giuliana’s audience is knowledgeable too. Some of the ingredients and processes she’s using, they have been able to offer advice as she tackles new recipes with new ingredients.
- Your kitchen becomes your science lab. It’s a constant experience.
- Giuliana started her bakery about a month ago. The Foodie Lab is the name of her bakery. During the shelter in place, it was difficult not being active and she wasn’t feeling great. She made a mental determination to snap out of it and take control of her situation.
- Her best friend has Celiac’s disease. So Giuliana was inspired to start a vegan and gluten-free bakery so her friend could enjoy delicious products.
- Giuliana’s started to ship her products nationwide.
- She’s using her business skills and it has become a passion for her.
- If you struggle with body issues, you really need to listen to your body. It can change your life for the better.
- Giuliana’s favorite quote: Health is adding a level of intention to every area of your life. ~Miranda Anderson
- To Giuliana, it’s not just eating healthy or looking good, it is feel good, do good, be good.